Monday, November 5, 2018

Quilt Studio...it begins

Months ago, I was trying to move some shelving (the kind on wall brackets) to an alcove in my upstairs sewing room.  Hubby came up to help me as I was having issues that I figured couldn't be overcome (no studs in the side wall).  Unfortunately, I was correct and the shelves would have to stay where they were.

As he was heading back downstairs, hubby suggested that I turn our "back room" into my quilting studio.  He's a darling man, I'm definitely keeping him.  We've just been using that room as a "dumping" area for stuff.  My office does occupy about 1/3 of it, and my piano is the only thing in the other 2/3, apart from the "stuff".

Just a couple of days after hubby made his brilliant suggestion, my father-in-law moved in while recovering from foot surgery.  The 2/3 of the room became his office and bedroom.  My piano got pushed into a closet area and all the other stuff got removed from the room.  This past Saturday, after 4½ months, FIL moved back to his own house!

Now that all of FIL's stuff is back at his house, I have a blank canvas to work with.  It's going to be a looonnngg process!  Here's my starting point:


You can just see the edge of my desk and chair in the foreground.  Everything from there to the piano will be my quilting studio!  The piano will end up staying in the alcove (former closet).  First up, painting!  Since I'm going to put in new flooring, it makes sense to paint first so that I don't have to worry about spills or spatter.

The brownish ceiling will be first and it's going to be white.  There is only one window in this room and one exterior door so there isn't much natural light.  I'm going to paint directly over the paneling in a soft white.  The piano alcove and the interior of the closet to the right will be light, beachy tones.  Probably a blue or green sea-glass tone.

Okay, I said painting was first.  It's not.  I have to clear out the rest of the room as best I can in order to paint.  I'm making a start, but as hubby would put it, I'm puttering at it.  ;-)

Will post updates as they happen!  Don't hold your breathe between posts though.  I'm only going to do things as I can pay for them in cash.  I'm not going into debt (no credit card purchases) to do this project!

Happy Stitching!

Stacy

2 comments:

Susan said...

Jealous!! I so miss having my own craft room - I have great plans for my next one. I look forward to watching your progress.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, wow! What a great husband you have - your quilting projects definitely deserve a room of their own!