Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blog Hop: Thrift Store Treasures & Stories

stitching bloggers blog hop for june 2016 thrift store finds and stories


I haven't participated in a blog hop in awhile and figured it was time that I jumped back on the wagon.

This one really made me think.  My town has 3 basic thrift stores:  Salvation Army, Goodwill, and a locally-owned one called Dream Secondhand Store.  Being from a small town and set in our ways, we still usually refer to it as "the old Linnenkohl's" after the original occupant of the building (it was a furniture store and the name was written on the roof).

I don't shop often at thrift stores.  Not 'cause I'm a snob but because the first two are mainly clothes and I'm really hard to fit, and the third one is a glorified junk shop.  I'm more likely to be found at garage sales around our county during the Spring and Summer.

I did, however, score a really cute Prairie Schooler Santa at the junky shop.  I was really surprised!  It was stitched and framed and I got him for $1.  Isn't he cute?!  I see he got a bit smashed.  I'll have to make sure to store him better.


The past couple of weeks, I've done really well at garage/yard sales (car boot or jumble sales for the UK readers). I got a ton of cross stitch magazines for a song last Saturday.  When I say ton, it was actually 88 magazines.  Mostly Just Cross Stitch and Cross Stitch and Country Crafts.  I've also started "rescuing" completed pieces.  At the same sale, I got 4 completed and framed pieces!  I just can't stand the thought of all that work possible ending up in a trash heap somewhere.

Soon, there is going to be a section in my Etsy Shop, XedStitches, specifically for my "rescuees".  I'll make a little money on them but my main goal is to see that they go to a home where they'll be appreciated.


Visit all the blogs in this round of the Stitching the Night Away Stitching Bloggers June Blog Hop – Thrift Store Treasures and Stories
Find the instructions on how to participate in this round by clicking here.

Happy Stitching!

Stacy

4 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

Great finds! I love the idea of you finding happy new homes for ppor abandoned cross stitch pieces. I wonder if there is any chance to find stuff like that on thrift stores and flea markets around here, when I last visited one I wasn't into cross stitch as much yet...

Loretta @ Stitching the Night Away said...

I keep an eye out for finished pieces to rescue as well, I love that idea <3

Thank you for joining us in the blog hop :)

Heather said...

Awesome finds!

Meari said...

The PS Santa is really cute! I rescue pieces also, but I'm a bit pickier these days.