Monday, September 17, 2018

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Bull's Eye!

The Blogger's Quilt Festival was so much fun last time, I thought I'd join in again!

This is one of my favorite quilts that I've made...well of the finished ones, anyway!


The blocks in this quilt were part of an internet exchange.  Everyone made one 11" unfinished block, then whacked it into quarters, kept one of their quarters, and sent the other 3 to the exchange hostess.  That means that at least 1/4 of the block in this were mine.

I played with different layouts before I chose the one above.  Here are some of my other options:

This one was fine, but it didn't really "speak" to me.


I liked this one a lot even though I didn't use it.  I'm planning on making another one just so I can do this layout!


I did end up hand-quilting it.  Here's a photo of it on my Grace frame:


...and here's a close-up of the actual quilting:


I used Essential Threads, primary colors (red, yellow, blue).  The black border has an oak leaf stipple, the white border is a simple chain, and the body of the quilt is a rose stipple.

For anyone interested, I do have a tutorial for the block here.  Here's what one complete block looks like before and after "whacking" it.  Seeing it like this, helps explain the Bull's Eye name:

 

I hope you like my quilt as much as I do.  It was so much fun to make and it's definitely one of the cheerier quilts I've done!

Happy Stitching!

Stacy

13 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh you definitely picked the greatest layout--I concur with your choice!! Beautiful quilt! :)

Sharon said...

Fantastic quilt!

Vasudha said...

Your finished quilt looks awesome. Thank you for showing the layouts and the block construction. It’s such a cool idea for a swap.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I had to visit your tutorial for this block. I love the raw edges and I love your quilt. I liked all of the layouts. You can't go wrong with any of them. What a fun swap that must have been. Looks great.

Cille said...

What a fun block wth so many possibilities. Your quilt looks really good :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful quilt, and you chose a wonderful layout. I just bought a used Grace frame at an auction and am hoping to put my first quilt on it soon. It will be the first time I've used a frame and also don't have much info or tips on how to load it by myself. Should be an adventure!

Leonore Winterer said...

I think I remember seeing this one...it looks great finished!

Quilt Granny said...

Thats a great layout. Raw edge curves add such great texture to a quilt. I'm Velda at the FreckledFoxQuiltery and I found you via the 2018 Blogger's Quilt Festival.

Quilt+Bitch said...

I was drawn by the colors of the quilt - very nice layout. Awesome that you hand quilted it!

Angie said...

A fabulous finish - thanks for the inspiration!

audrey said...

Lovely quilt! I have always liked this pattern and how it makes such great looking quilts.:)

Kristina said...

So pretty! I have recently been working on a curves quilt top also with Suzy Quilts Modern Fans Sew Along. They are fun and have limitless arrangements! I enjoyed reading about your quilt.

PaintedThread said...

Neat quilt. So many curves!