Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Another Festival Quilt



Since we're allowed to showcase 2 quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival, I thought I'd show another one.


I made this one about 20 years ago.

My husband remembers his great grandmother, who was a quilter.  He had described one of the quilt patterns he remembered her making but he didn't know the name.  I immediately knew he was talking about a Lone Star quilt.  He didn't receive a quilt from her so I thought I'd do the next best thing and make the one he recalled without telling him.

Thankfully, my sewing room is the only room upstairs so secrecy was fairly easy.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much furniture in the room at the time so it wasn't very comfortable for me.  One thing the room was lacking was a decent chair!  I tried to finish this for him for Christmas but because it is so big (king-size) and I hand-quilted it, I didn't get it done in time.

I wasn't going to not give it to him at Christmas but I had tell him his gift wasn't finished yet.  I went upstairs and brought it down all folded up.  I unfurled it to let him see it - he took one look and left the room!  I thought, "He doesn't like it!".  The truth was, he appreciated it so much he walked away because he didn't want me to see him cry.  I do love my man!

Happy Stitching!

Stacy


13 comments:

Karen S said...

That is a very special quilt and a wonderful gift. A real treasure.

Quilting Babcia said...

What a treasure! Beautifully done.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Ah, what a sweet story! My Mr. pretty much ignores what I do in quilting. I even have a finished bed quilt on the bed and he hasn't said a word!

JanineMarie said...

How sweet! I hope he's enjoyed it for many years.

Cathy said...

My goodness! You must really love your husband to make such a treasure. Wonderful quilt, wonderful story!

audrey said...

So much work! It looks wonderful!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Such a beautiful quilt and a beautiful gift!

Daffycat said...

What an awesome story.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Aww... thanks for sharing with the Blogger's Quilt Festival!!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

That was a touching story! The quilt is lovely and I can see why he liked it besides the fact that it evoked memories.

Melanie said...

Such a lovely story and beautiful quilt!

Hilacha (loose strand) said...

Ahhh! a lone Star quilt is always to admire!

Leonore Winterer said...

A beautiful quilt and such a sweet story to go with it :)