I've been at it again. DH* has been a great enabler! He bought this for me at a local auction for $8.50:
It actually looks better in the photo than it did when he brought it home. At this stage, I had sanded it down as preparation for painting. Oh, and I'd removed the hideous bronze-colored drawer pulls. Yes, the drawers aren't in correctly in this photo but I didn't notice until later.
Like all of the other pieces in my sewing room, this one got a base coat of Starless Night (dark blue). It's a paint & primer in one from Behr which is great 'cause it saves a step!
Here is one of the drawers with the base coat done and taped off for the "special treatment" I chose for this piece.
The tape was 1.41" wide which is close enough to 1.5" so I cut the tape pieces 3" long for balance. I did attempt to use a ruler for the spacing but it still turned out a bit wonky. The gaps between the tape are approximately .25".
It took longer than I'd expected to do the taping; about 2½ hours for the 4 drawers. At that point, I just wanted to be done so I took the drawers out to the carport and spray painted them with Rustoleum Flat White, also a paint/primer combo.
Because the weather is cool and damp, I brought them back inside to dry for about 20 minutes before I removed the tape. The pieces along the edge were easy because they were wrapped around the side. For the pieces in the middle, I used an X-acto knife to peel up a corner on each piece.
Here's the finished piece including the new hardware. I went with silver so that all the pieces I've done share the same color palette: Starless Night, Flat White and/or Silver. The handles cost almost as much as the desk - they were just under $2 each.
Here are the other pieces that I've redone and are in my sewing room as well:
*DH = Dear Husband